Virginia Water Lake lies on the southern edge of Windsor Great Park. It is a man-made lake.
Virginia Water Lake was originally little more than a stream. The lake itself was begun in 1746 by William, Duke of Cumberland. The original lake was much smaller than the current form, and was destroyed in a flood in 1768. In 1780 Paul and Thomas Sandby began construction of a much larger lake at the site, and went on to add an artificial waterfall, Meadow Pond and Obelisk Pond.
The River Bourne provides the water for the lake and it exits the lake at the eastern end after the cascading waterfall.
ALL IMAGES CONTAINED IN THIS WEB SITE REMAIN THE PROPERTY OF RON LEGGAT. IMAGES MAY NOT BE DOWNLOADED, REPRODUCED, COPIED OR USED IN ANY OTHER WAY WITHOUT EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION.
Location: Virginia Water Lake, Surrey
Photographer: Ron Leggat ARPS