This aqueduct was built by the Scottish surveyor and engineer, John Rennie (1761 - 1821). Its overall length and height are 600 feet by some 60 feet and it has five semi-circular arches, each on 70 feet centres, which carry the canal about 51 feet above the river Lune. It was constructed of local sandstone and along both sides there is a deep Doric cornice on top of which stands a parapet with groups of three balusters over the centre of each arch, which helps to blend the aqueduct into the north Lancashire landscape.
ALL IMAGES CONTAINED IN THIS WEB SITE REMAIN THE PROPERTY OF RON LEGGAT. IMAGES MAY NOT BE DOWNLOADED, REPRODUCED, COPIED OR USED IN ANY OTHER WAY WITHOUT EXPRESS WRITTEN PERMISSION.
Location: Lancaster Canal, Lancaster
Photographer: Ron Leggat ARPS